The area around the Louvre Pyramid was completed in 1989 and the Jardin du Carousel in 1997. The Tuileries garden was restored and adapted (1991-1996) by the landscape architects Louis Benech, Pascal Cribier and François Roubaud. They kept the old structure while re-juvinating the design.
The Jardin des Tuileries occupies an area of 25 hectares, between the Carrousel du Louvre and the place de la Concorde, the rue de Rivoli and the banks of the Seine. It was commissioned by Catherine de Médicis but the present layout of the formal garden (1664) is attributable to Le Nôtre.
It stretches from the Louvre Pyramid to the Concorde, between Rue de Rivoli and the Quai des Tuileries, a stone’s throw from Place Vendôme. As the city’s first public garden, the Tuileries is a popular gathering spot and with the coming of spring, starts to draw large crowds – over 10 million visitors per year.